(Note: this post is picture-heavy but that is probably a good thing for you! Less of my rambling to skim through!)
This month has been filled with exciting news! Some of which I couldn’t announce yet, and an important one regarding my gamedev progress will be released some time next week. (You’ll see what I mean but until then I thank you for your patience.)
I’ve been busy churning out more sprites for Project: Mittens, so here’s a glimpse of our concept weapon art. Some of the items shown didn’t make it to the demo unfortunately.
The gun is probably my favorite one, since I usually don’t draw guns, so it was fun looking up antique/steampunk-looking ones. Perhaps in the full game it will?
I also finally have an update regarding my visual novel (Which Shall Remain Nameless apparently because I’m horrible with titles). Aside from gamedev I had a major art block regarding my drawings for the past few months, and just felt that even things I sketched out just didn’t seem right no matter how much I worked on them. So I took a break to focus on more things like sprites and coding.
Earlier this week I realized I could try mixing two styles I had done in the past, one which was more anime-like and had done for several years, the other more recent as of this year. So last night I went back and did a sketch of one of the VN’s characters, Catherine. She seems to be a popular “model” for me, must be the hair and the fact that she hides one eye so symmetry isn’t so much of an issue? Not that I have a problem with symmetry anyway.
While the sketch took longer than my normal ones, it was worth ironing out, and I am very satisfied with the result. I hope you are too! Here’s a comparison of my progression so you can see what I mean.
So far it seems the hybrid of the two works best, and I’ve had some good feedback from others already! The progression seems slight but little details make a big difference, and the more I can work with the hybrid style, the more art you’ll see more of soon!
As of coloring, while I do more of a watercolor-like technique these days, I also plan to test it out with more of a graphical look too. I normally don’t do the latter though, as I generally don’t do harsh lineart (and that looks best with that type of stuff), but I’d like to hear opinions anyway!