Sprites in motion

I have not been able to continue much spritesheets the past few weeks, due to starting a new job earlier this month. I love it so far but adjusting to a new schedule has prevented my gamedev progress otherwise. Soon you’ll see more updates again though! That’ll make the kids happy.

In the mean time, I do have news regarding Project: Mittens. We’re now working on an iOS-only port, and moving away from HTML5 for our demo. As a result, the demo will be released in March 2015 rather than this upcoming Thanksgiving.

Here’s one of the attacking sprites I worked on so far, enlarged. Due to the grids we’re using, the weapon sprites will animate next to the characters similar to old-school RPGs like the early Final Fantasies (so not to distort anything).

The other main kittens and enemies, minus the boss and the wizard, also have completed spritesheets.

The other main kittens and enemies, minus the boss and the wizard, also have completed spritesheets.

As of PrisonĀ Escape, itĀ has a touch D-pad now! The jumps I put in were bugging things up and preventing progress, so now the player can avoid obstacles by moving up and down instead. If people prefer jumps as well, or only jumps, during playtesting, I will add them back in and get them to work nicer. Thanks to the D-pad though I can continue adding more enemies and obstacles to increase the game’s difficulty.

Jumping Around

Hello everyone, had a busy week and a half but now I can get around to continuing my game dev! For those that saw me at Eternal Con, thanks for stopping by my table and I hope you had fun at the convention! Sadly I won’t be returning to that one next year, but I’ll see what else is around the area for me to check out next.

A few days ago, I got my new Marmalade build to work again, support moved my license over with no troubles. I went ahead and placed Sullivan’s hitbox, as seen here in the gif, and I also got him jumping!

 

sullivanjumpgif

I plan to make the transition smoother for his jump.

 

I hadn’t been able to test collisions yet, but that’s my next step. That aside, I completed some more stuff for a colleague’s game though I can’t show at this time still. I saw the sprites in action today though, and I’m very pleased with how the animation turned out.

Sorry that this post is rather short, I only had been able to continue my own game dev recently this month. As of my visual novel, I continued on with the script and that’s turning out nicely. Still nowhere near done rewriting the prologue chapter, but I’ll get there, don’t worry. I do admit I miss drawing my characters though, so maybe I might crank out another avatar next.

Smells like progress

Hello all! I mean to update the other day but then it escaped my mind, so for this update I decided to just post early rather than wait midweek again.

I have a progress gif of the finished sprite for Sullivan; he since is bigger now but here’s his animation regardless.

 

Image

Now walk it off! 1, 2, 3, 4…

 

Next update I’ll have other elements added, most likely not sprite related but some more things regarding game mechanics.

I also finished cleaning up my new portfolio site, though I still need to add other examples of my more recent work. I wanted to add collapsible divs but the code I was using wasn’t cooperating with it, so I went for anchor jumps instead and so far it’s worked well. It’s also much more mobile friendly than my previous layout.

 

Image

How come my color schemes always remind me of ice cream flavors…